Reduce changeover time with SMED
Client- and order-driven production is currently a much-coveted goal. Such a flexible production system calls for a short changeover time, as production resources need to be switched quickly and all at once. SMED (Single-Minute Exchange of Die) is a method which optimises machine conversions to save a considerable amount of time. Every aspect of the changeover activities is analyses and improved, where possible, to see whether it can be eliminated, simplified or streamlined. The bottom line of SMED is that the number of changeover steps needs to be reduced to the bare minimum.
Simplify, eliminate and streamline
SMED (Single-Minute Exchange of Die) is a method to reduce changeover times. It was developed by Shingo, a Japanese industrial engineer and leader in the field of quality systems and production processes. Shingo believed that changeovers can be reduced to just a few minutes, even if they currently take several hours. The SMED method can be implemented both manually and with machine-led production systems. MyPlantFloor can be extended with a special SMED module, which focuses on simplifying, eliminating and streamlining changeover activities, thus reducing changeover times.
7 basic steps leading to a reduction in conversion times
- Observe the current changeover method and divide it into steps/tasks.
- Distinguish internal steps/tasks from external ones. Internal steps can only be executed when a machine is not running. External steps, on the other hand, can be taken while the machine is running.
- Where possible, convert internal steps/tasks into external ones. Keep account of the pre-heating time of tools.
- Optimise the remaining internal steps/tasks and focus on how the machine parts are coupled. Where possible, use a click-in system.
- Streamline the external steps/tasks so that they are in line with the internal ones.
- Ensure new procedures are well documented.
- Make sure that the steps mentioned above are implemented. The conversion time should improve by some 45% for each step, and various steps should result in a conversion time of less than ten minutes.
SMED-module van MyPlantFloor
If there is a wide variety of different products/machines and processes, it is virtually impossible to develop a separate set of instructions or a planned changeover time for every transition. An example: 100 products and 5 different machines result in 50,000 possible transitions!
The SMED module does not use a fixed definition for each transition. Based on differences between various materials in the bills of materials of two products, it can generate a set of changeover instructions and a planned changeover time. That saves a lot of time, because the system generates the changeover instructions and a smart matrix provides a structured analysis and approach for every element in the changeover instructions, so that the reduction in changeover times becomes manageable.
The advantages of a successful SMED programmeA successful SMED programme offers the following advantages:
- A reduction in changeover times
- Lower production costs
- An optimised series size
- A faster response to client requests
- Smaller stocks
- An improved start-up routine
Keen to find out more?
Would you like more information about MyPlantFloor and/or the SMED module? Then don’t hesitate to contact us. Interested in a demonstration of MyPlantFloor combined with SMED? No problem, just ask!